Sunday 13 May 2012

Weekly roundup! Showcase Sunday #1

I'm linking up with Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea this week, to take part in Showcase Sunday for the first time. I haven't picked up any new books in a while, but on Friday afternoon I took myself off to the library, desperate for a bit of light reading! 


(Epic fail story: there are two branches of my city library in walking distance. Walking home from uni on Friday, I went to the first one, only to discover it had closed three days earlier for a 12-week refurbishment. Cue VERY long walk to visit the other library. Dedication or madness, I haven't decided.)

I picked up the following four books:

A week of Agathas.
1. Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton
2. Hallowe'en Party (Poirot) by Agatha Christie
3. Appointment with Death (Poirot) by Agatha Christie
4. Avalon High by Meg Cabot

I have been in a bit of a reading slump lately, but within minutes of getting home I was already a few pages in to the Agatha Raisin book. Evidently a bit of ridiculous English village crime was just what I needed!

Reviews posted this week:

The Boy Book (Ruby Oliver #2) by E. Lockhart

The second installment from Roo. More Meghan! More Noel! More Hutch! Hurray! :)

I would like to say a big thank you to Britt at A Not So Teen Reader, Mandee from VeganYANerds, Linny at Linny's Literature and Hilda at Catch the Lune for their awesome contemporary YA recommendations this week. (If you want to suggest anything, the post is here.) I have already requested Just Listen by Sarah Dessen and Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart from the library, and I have a long list of others to add to that list later!

Have an excellent Sunday, everyone :)

11 comments:

  1. Definitely dedication! :) I love your books! Every time I see someone get an Agatha Christie book, I just can't help grinning. The Halloween Party is an interesting one, I read that a few years ago. I think I have Appointment with Death on my bookshelf but I still need to pick that up.

    I read the latest Agatha Raisin book and it was pretty good too - totally not what I expected but not bad. :D

    And I love Meg Cabot as well. Can you tell I adore your book haul this week? :)

    Anyway, happy reading and have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Agatha Christie and Meg Cabot! :)

    I still have to read a book by Meg Cabot though.

    I'm in a reading slump too. :( Hopefully next week's read-a-thon will take care of that.

    My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should really read an Agatha Christie book. Bought Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death this week too. Really looking forward to reading this one.
    Enjoy your books,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books this week! I love the titles of the Agatha Raisin books - I really need to pick one of those up some time! I hope you enjoy your new reads!

    New to your blog :)
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky - I love Agatha Christie, but there are so many that I still haven't read! I read The Hallowe'en Party today, it was pretty good, but not one of the best, I thought. I prefer Poirot in his young(er) days!

    Reviewing Shelf - I was tempted by the readathon but I have too many deadlines, so I've just spent all of today reading instead! Hope you make it out of your slump.

    Karin - I'd definitely recommend some Agatha Christie! Death on the Nile and And Then There Were None are my favourites.

    Steph - Thanks for stopping by! The Agatha Raisin titles make me laugh, I couldn't resist "Quiche of Death"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Meg Cabot! I just finished her Queen of Babble series

    Talk Supe 
    BB&B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for Agatha Christie books! I got some this week too.

    Hope you enjoy all your new books.
    New follower here :D


    My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you went all that way to go to the library! Passion for books makes you even healthy by walking :p

    I'm not a huge Christie fan, and I haven't read any books from the other authors, but I hope you have a lot of fun reading them!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-sunday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice haul! I hope you enjoy them all :)

    http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/showcase-sunday-3.html

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, now I am really hungry and I would like some vegan quiche! I love the title of the Agatha Raisin book, it sounds deliciously cute.

    And you're so welcome for the recs, I know what it's like to be in a slump and with so many books out, it's easy for some to miss out on your attention. I think you're dedicated to walk to the other library and it sounds like it was worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I really enjoyed Agatha Cristie's books! She really is the queen of mystery, and her writing is very detailed! <3 I love the title of Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death, it definitely intrigues me! I haven't read Avalon High yet, but I adore Meg Cabot's books, so I hope you'll love it! <3

    Yay for dedication in reading! Definitely not madness! It's so cool that you walk so far! <3 Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!