Sunday 13 January 2013

Showcase Sunday #15

Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea.


This weekend I walked IN THE SNOW to the library. Granted, the snow didn't settle, and it didn't stay around for too long, but SNOW, people. I love snow. In Doppler, Doppler himself says:

"Snow is the only weather I really like. Nothing makes me less grumpy than snow." (He goes on to say that "Furthermore, I like the fact that there are people who don't like snow. Who become irritable when the snow arrives. Who, after a whole lifetime in Norway, haven't managed to accept snow and still allow themselves to be riled by it.") I, too, am a fan of snow, although I much prefer the thick, crunchy snow to it's-raining-white-rain stuff.

Anyway. Spending so long in the library didn't do much for the four pints of milk I was carrying in my rucksack (because I had just come from doing my food shopping, not because I'm a milk fiend), but I did find some books that I'm excited to start reading.

Andrea Camilleri - The Voice of the Violin (An Inspector Montalbano Mystery)



Not a series I've read before, but this one caught my eye. As a bonus, it will also count towards my 2013 Translation Challenge, as this has been translated from the original Italian by Stephen Sartarelli.

Kiersten White - Paranormalcy



The first book in the Paranormalcy series, and a complete deviation from my usual genre of YA, but I have been following Kiersten on Twitter and reading her blog for a while now, and I thought I'd give it a go!

Meg Cabot - Ten Out of Ten (Princess Diaries #10)



I've read a few of the PD series, mostly the earlier books, and though I enjoyed them I was never inclined to seek out the later books in the series (mostly because the library seemed to have lots of #6 and none of #8, or at least you get the idea!). But it'll be fun to see how the series ended, and I do like Mia. (I think this is titled Forever Princess elsewhere.)

Gah, shiny book covers.
Yes, that is Philip Roth's Nemesis at the bottom of that pile, as featured in a Showcase Sunday from a while back. I only read a couple of chapters before having to take it back to the library before Christmas, but it was available again so I picked it up.

Reviews posted this week:
Jane Austen - Pride & Prejudice (7.5/10)
Terry Pratchett - The Wee Free Men (6.5/10)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I prefer snow to rain, and there's nothing drearier in the winter than bare ground where there should be snow. Enjoy your reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh some great books Kit this week, I read Paranormalcy but it really wasn't for me, and I loved the Princess Diaries series, so I hope you get all the books you're missing out on! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!